Learning how to float on your back is a fundamental skill that is required before you can learn to swim the backstroke. This brings your swimming skills to a whole new level. Apart from that, floating on your back is a great way to relax and become one with the water.
1. Find a spacious spot in the pool, but ensure that you do not block others who are swimming.
2. Ask your friend to assist you by holding your back. This will make you feel like you’re floating already.
3. Inhale as much air as you can and don’t exhale. Once you feel comfortable, ask your friend to release their hold.
4. Try balancing out your body evenly by spreading out your arms and legs in a star shape and keeping them as straight as you can without becoming too rigid. Floating is about relaxing and remaining buoyant at the same time.
5. Look up into the sky and listen to the gentle water. This will take you to a very peaceful place.
6. Continue to practice until you feel one with the water.
- Ensure that you already know how to swim before attempting to float as this will provide you with confidence and improve your sense of balance.
- Try bringing up your hips and bottom and keeping them up.
- Try arching your back to find that equilibrium.
- If you’re still a beginner, only attempt this at the most shallow end.
- If this is your first time attempting to float, ensure that a lifeguard is around.
- Don’t get frustrated as it will only increase the chances of you sinking.
- Once you got the hang of it, try kicking underwater with the float.
- Swimming pool
- Swimming attire
- Lifeguard (for safety precautions)
If you have yet to master the technique of floating, perhaps you aren’t doing it right. We understand that some may have a tougher time learning to float compared to others. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this as everyone has their own learning capabilities. Perhaps all you need is a little guidance to get you on the right track. Why not take a look at our website and see if any of our lessons are applicable to you? Should you be keen, all you have to do is fill up the registration form and send it to us. Our coordinators will be in touch with you again to make the necessary arrangements. Remember, it doesn’t matter if others learn faster than you. What’s more important is that you pick up the correct techniques and good habits to make yourself become a better swimmer.